Wintertide Tractations: Gold

Wintertide Tractations: Gold

When I consider the word "gold", the recent happenings of this Christmas season come to mind. 

First, I had the great privilege of being home and with my family for this blessed time.  The Grandparents' house was the perfect gathering place for four of my cousins and their broods over the holiday and it was delightful having them in the neighborhood and filling the dear place with laughter and chatter.  As I got to spend time with them, it was pure gold.  I watched one of my cousins interacting with her husband and smiled inside.  He made a joke which few seemed to catch, but her head went back in amusement; she got it, she understood him.  What a satisfied feeling to get to see the product of the Lord's arranging marriage. 

Another golden nugget was getting to meet with Treasure who was in the state for Christmas.  She moved last year or so to serve the Lord in Houston and any time she's back visiting her family, we try to get together.  Talks with her are like nourishment to my soul.  They are few and far between, but so precious.  The Lord is teaching her things through some sticky-difficult situations and I marvel continuously at her depth and the beauty of her heart. 

More than sweet family, more than dear friends, God's Word is real gold.  No, it's more than that.  Real gold melts and gets stolen and buried and lost, but God's Word has stood the test of time.  It's something I can treasure forever.  I can stock pile it in my heart and give it away and be rich and undepleted all at the same time!  I can be stripped of all comfort and possessions and still have a gold mine in my heart which no man can steal from me.  David, the king and psalm writer, said, "The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver." (Psalm 119:72.)   He said that he loved God's commandments above gold and knew that they were more desirable than fine gold. (Psalm 119:127   Psalm 19:10)  But the gold of God's Word can't automatically appear into my heart, nor can I hope by holding a Bible or being near one to discover the jewels therein.  I have to diligently read it, study it, and seek the Lord and then I will benefit from the spiritual wealth the Lord intends for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Here

Five Minute Friday: Protect

Five Minute Friday: Find