Wintertide Tractations: Supply

Wintertide Tractations: Supply

Start.

My dear pastor, Bro. Earl, loaned me an incredible treasure: his brand-new hymnal from Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, CA, Hymns of Grace.   

Wow! Can I just say, this is a goldmine of theologically-deep hymns, both ancient and new!  I keep discovering one beautiful hymn after another, as well as some I already knew.

One of my favorites is the hymn "My Shepherd, You Supply My Need" by Isaac Watts.  Here are the words:

My Shepherd, You supply my need; most holy is Your name.
In pastures fresh You make me feed, beside the living stream.
You bring my wandr'ing spirit back when I forsake Your ways,
And lead me, for Your mercy's sake, in paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death, Your presence is my stay;
One word of Your supporting breath drives all my fears away.
Your hand, in sight of all my foes, does still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows, Your oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God attend me all my days;
Oh, may Your house be my abode and all my work be praise.
Here would I find a settled rest, while others go and come; 
No more a stranger or a guest, but like a child at home.

This version gives the tune, in case you want to sing along. 

Oh yes! how wonderful is my Father, my Shepherd Who is my supply!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Here

Five Minute Friday: Protect

Five Minute Friday: Find